How to Get Better Buy-in on your Ideas
By LimeLight Group with JJ Brun - The Retired Spy | Jul 25, 2017
You are always communicating. Therefore you need to pay attention to everything you communicate through your choice of words, voice tones, and body language. Even when you are silent, you are communicating. “You cannot, not communicate!” Now that’s a profound thought!
Every communication has six components:
- What you think you said
- What you actually said
- What the other person heard
- What you think the other person heard
- What the other person thinks about what you said
- What you think the other person thinks about what you said
“JJ Brun, a retired spy, was trained by the military to operate in hostile environments and elicit buy-in from a wide variety of people.” JJ is an expert in human behavior. What a better way to understand how to communicate than from someone who is trained by the military to be a spy….AND yet, he has a warm and engaging personality!
He focuses in on some key communication techniques that are valuable for Leaders HR Managers, Sales professionals, Elected Officials and anyone who needs to get buy on ideas (would that be everyone?) Here is a short list of skills that can be learned:
- Learn why many people fail to be convincing
- Learn to identify the communication patterns for an individual or group
- Learn how to present the same idea in four different ways to ensure buy-in- know your audience!
One of our favorite quotes from JJ: “Communication is simple, it’s just not easy!” How true!