Be it resolved that The Debaters Live! is a stimulating way to liven up your next event, corporate function or fund-raiser. Real live Debaters host, Steve Patterson and two stand-up comedians who appear on the popular CBC show will entertain your group with an exhilarating exchange of facts and funny tailored to suit your needs, industry or event. The engaging format is part stand-up, part quiz show and part comedy competition with your audience picking the winner.
Created by Richard Side, who also executive produces, The Debaters is a unique, cross-platform production that is well known to the large, loyal audience it has been entertaining on CBC Radio One for five years. In the Fall 2011, The Debaters aired its first full season on CBC Television taking on a range of topics from Beauty vs. Brains to whether the rise of China as a superpower is good for us all.
With over 350 topics debated so far, The Debaters team guarantees it will find the perfect debate for your event and deliver it with 100 percent original and hilarious material that will get all of your delegates talking.
The Debaters Live! is a total of 60-70 minutes. 30 minutes of stand-up (10 from each comedian) a hard-hitting 35 minute debate and even a Q and A for your audience direct participation.
1) STAND-UP PORTION OF THE EVENING (30 minutes)
The live audience will be warmed up and entertained by both debaters as well as veteran International headliner Steve Patterson.
MC/Comic — introduces the evening and performs set (ten minutes)
Second Comic – keeps the ball rolling with another 10 minute set (ten minutes)
Steve Patterson – takes things to the next level with a hilarious event specific set (ten minutes)
2) DEBATE PORTION OF THE EVENING (30 minutes)
Two stand-up comedians are given a topical matter to debate, previously decided upon through the collaboration of the client and producer. One debater serves as advocate: the other takes the contrary view.
Off stage microphone – announcer intro of “The Debaters” live with the theme music of our show playing (from a CD or ipod).
Introduction – Steve Patterson, positioned between the two podiums, introduces the debate resolution, complete with insider references.
There are five rounds to each debate:
– Opening Rants – Each debater delivers a fully scripted, joke-filled rant “for” or “against” the resolution.
– The Bare Knuckle Round – Here debaters attack each other’s argument and defend their own in a verbal free-for-all.
– The Firing Line Round – The host quizzes the debaters on their knowledge of the subject, where the debaters can either provide the correct or the most amusing answer.
– Audience Questions – This is a bonus round for Debaters Live! The audience members are given the opportunity quiz the debaters, using a wireless microphone that is passed around by a Stage Assistant.
– The Last Laugh – The debaters each given a time for a closing summation, a final joke-filled scripted rant to sum up their side of the argument.
Conclusion – The host asks the audience to vote by applause for whom they thought delivered the best combination of facts and funny.